Checkpoint Venlo Student Service
RULES Checkpoint Student Service Venlo

Rules & regulation

If you are from the EU/EEA (but not from Croatia), Switzerland or Japan you are free to work without restrictions. Are you from Croatia or from another country than mentioned above? Then there are some restrictions if you want to take a job next to your studies.

You need a permit and you can only work for a maximum of ten hours a week or, instead, you can work full-time during the summer months of June, July and August.

Work permit application

Your employer needs to apply for your work permit. The organisation that issues work permits is called UWV.

Exception for internships

If you are studying at a Dutch host institution and you need to do an internship as part of your study programme, you do not need a work permit. Your host institution and your employer do need to sign an internship agreement.

Social security number

BSN is short for Burger Service Nummer, which translates as ‘citizen service number’. The BSN is equivalent to a social security number: a unique registration number for every citizen, used in contacts with any government service.

Various people may ask for your BSN. If you have a job, your employer will need to know your BSN. Insurance companies may also ask for your BSN-number.

When registering with your local municipality, you are automatically issued a BSN. Your local town hall will most likely send you a letter to confirm all your personal details listed in their administration. This letter will also mention your BSN.

Income tax

You are required to pay tax over your total Dutch income for the year. Scholarships may also be counted as income and added to the total. For more information on income tax, you can check with your employer or directly with the Belastingdienst.

For more information go to the website of Study in Holland.